Saturday, April 07, 2007

Kirtland Trip

On April 6 (Good Friday and the 177th anniversary of the organization of the Church) our ward went on a trip to see the Kirtland sites. There were two busloads that went down and a bunch of people drove on their own (including us). We had a great trip. Enjoy the pictures and reading about the trip.

Our group was split into a bunch of smaller groups and we were taken to the different historical sites. Here's the Whitney store where the School of the Prophets was held. Annie and Katie enjoyed going on the tours, but Cameron and I spent most of our time outside. Cameron couldn't understand how we could want to spend our time cooped up inside crowed buildings with such nice weather to enjoy outside (25 deg)! So we walked around in the "nice weather" enjoying the parts of Kirtland that most people just walk right past!


Here's Katie and Annie at the Johnson home at the Johnson farm in Hiram. 16 sections of the D&C were revealed there including section 76. This is also where Joseph Smith was pulled out of the house by a mob and tarred and feather with Sidney Rigdon, then still preached the next day. It's always good to get to the Church sites and hear about some of the amazing experiences the early saints had.


In the Johnson farmhouse summer kitchen.


Here we are in front of the Kirtland temple. We had a great opportunity for our whole group to go into the temple together and then actually hold a meeting in there. We basically had a sacrament meeting but without the sacrament. Our stake president (who used to be our bishop) and bishop and a couple others gave some talks and we sang some hymns. It was a pretty cool experience to be able to be in the Kirtland Temple as a big group and have our meeting there. It was really neat when we all stood and sang "The Spirit of God" which was sung at the dedication of the temple. We sang all six of the original verses of the hymn. It was definitely a different feeling to get to be in the temple for this meeting than if we were to have just gone on a tour of it.We had a great trip. Enjoy a couple more pictures in the blog below.

(fyi--this post was done by Eric)


Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Alisa said...

OH MAN!!! I talked to Carrie the other day and she said her ward was taking that trip, but don't ask my why it didn't click that it meant YOU would be going...You guys, I LOVE these pictures!! Seriously, it makes me so homesick for Kirtland! As I read what you wrote about each place, I could hear myself giving a tour of it exactly. I'm so glad you got to go! What a special place that is in my heart!!

Liz said...

what a fun trip, guys! how far is it from you anyway? i love living near church historical sites.

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

Looks like you guys had a ton of fun! I love the church history sites and wished we got to visit them more often. How fun. I'm glad you got to go.

Gwen said...

What a fun experience for your family! It's these opportunities that make up for you living so far away from all of us! We missed you guys yesterday at our easter party! Hope you had a great Easter! We love you all!

Lisa O said...

Katie and Eric, we are so glad to be part of your ward and enjoy trips like this together! Isn't it great living by so much Church history?!

Elizabeth said...

Looks like you guys had a great time, despite the snow! Isn't it fun living near some of these church history sites?

Amber Carter said...

I can't believe it is still so cold there! And all the snow too... It's been in the high 70's here in California. But it looks like you guys had a good experience going to the Church history sites. I'm jealous of that. :)

Amber Carter said...

I can't believe it is still so cold there! And all the snow too... It's been in the high 70's here in California. But it looks like you guys had a good experience going to the Church history sites. I'm jealous of that. :)

Heather said...

It looks like you had a fun trip! I hope you had a great Easter.