I have been training for a 1/2 marathon for a very, very long time. I started back in February training for a 1/2 on May 1st, but I ended up getting a stomach bug and couldn't run the race. The next 1/2 that I knew about that was on a Saturday close by was September 11th. So I ran my own half on May 15th, just to prove to myself that I could do it and then kept training. I had my ups and downs and overall enjoyed the training and was happy with my improvement. It has been a great accomplishment to go from running 3 miles max to being able to run 13.1 miles. Two weeks before the race I ran an awesome 12 mile run and averaged a pace of 9:35/mile which I was thrilled about and when I finished I felt like I could have kept going.
Saturday was the big race day in Liverpool, NY near Syracuse.
Rebe, Shari, Katie, Lisa, Linda (me and my running buddies before the race)
I ran the first 9 miles with my friend Rebe and we kept a really great pace. At about mile 8 I started struggling a little bit, but I was able to push it through, but then I had Rebe go ahead and I slowed down. I was able to run through mile 10, but then I really wasn't feeling good and started to really cramp up, my legs hurt so bad. I had had times when my legs had been tired on runs, but this was something different. I was dizzy and sick to my stomach and I felt so thirsty. I had become very dehydrated. I was used to running with a camelpack full of gatorade and they only had 3 stops that had gatorade and it was a very warm sunny day. I was able to finish, but I had to walk a lot of the last 3 miles. I finished in 2 hours and 15 minutes which isn't bad except for the fact that my friend Rebe finished in just under 2:05 (which was our goal time). So it took me 10 extra minutes to finish those last 4 miles that I wasn't with Rebe. It was hard and miserable at the end and I really thought it would take me days to finish, but I was able to finish. My dear friend, Lisa that I run with had even more extreme symptoms and collapsed at mile 12 and was unable to finish the race.
Coming in at the finish line
Katie, Rebe, and Shari after the race
Eric and the kids had a fun time during the race going to a petting zoo and doing different activities.
Monday, September 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


16 comments:
YOU DID IT!!! I can't believe how long you have been training for this, it must feel so good to be done. You look fit and fabulous--good for you!!
great job katie! i am so proud of you. i remember when you started getting into it and i can't believe how far you've come! congratulations. you should be very proud!
Congrats on an awesome job! It was so fun to run with you and have your sweet family cheer me on. What's next? Marathon next summer? Ha ha, Please no!!
Yeah!! i'm so glad you got to do this and I'm seriously impressed! You've trained for a long time for this and I bet it feels great to have this accomplishment checked off your list! love you!
You are so great! I feel like everyone i know is getting into running. Than is running a marathon in November with his sister. CRAZY! Any dreams of 26.2 in your future??? :)
You are definitely my inspiration! Way to go! I wish your finish time was more representative of how AWESOME your training run times have been, but you are still way impressive!
way to go katie! i'm sitting here crying reading this because i know the accomplishment it is! i think the end of my race must've been similar to yours. i'm so proud of you!
Katie,
I am still so proud of you for doing this race even though you were slightly disappointed with your time! Way to go! You are an inspiration!
I know how hard it is to run in the hot heat! So awesome that you were able to work through it and complete with a good time. You would have made a good running buddy for X-country in High School! ;) I was starting to train for a half marathon before I got pregnant, but maybe I will be able to do it next year. You will be my inspiration!
katie good for you for doing it. sorry it was not a finish like you had hoped for but i am impressed with your time - especially considering you walked the last 3 miles!! You were booking it in the beginning!! good job. i am really impressed
Good job! And you look great!
Woo HOO!!
We are so proud of you!
Wow- really that is a long way to run and you did it. Great work!
Congratulations on finishing the race in great time! And what a cute family picture you have!
You are great!!!!
Good for you! Very inspiring! I just asked Ryan to put together a training schedule for me for a 1/2 marathon!
Katie, I'm so proud of you! Way to go girl!
Post a Comment