Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Welcome Baby Megan

Announcing the arrival of Megan Jean Christensen
Monday, October 1, 2007
4:45 pm
7 lbs. 15 oz.
20.5 in.
We are very excited to let you all know about the birth of our baby, Megan. We are very happy to have her as part of our family. She is a very cute and healthy baby. Katie is glad to have had her over a week before her due date, but the way it all happened isn't quite what we had in mind.

For those of you who have already heard the story, feel free to skip down to the pictures. For those who haven't yet heard it or want to hear it again, here goes:

On Monday, Katie woke up before 5:00 am having some contractions that kept her from getting back to sleep. They were stronger than she'd had earlier in the pregnancy and got her thinking that the baby might come that day or the next. However, the contractions were pretty irregular throughout the day. We went the hospital for an already-scheduled n0-stress test for the baby. Everything was great. I went to school and Katie went on home. Around 4:00 that afternoon, Katie called me and told me she wasn't feeling the best and wondered if I could come home a little earlier (she had just recently gotten back home from picking up Annie and two friends from preschool, having luckily only had one contraction while in the car!!). About 10-15 minutes later, Katie called me back and told me her water had just broken (The next day Annie asked me why mommy's water broke. I told her that's what happens when babies are born, to which she said, "My water no broke when my baby is born."). She wanted me to get home but also told me that sometimes it still takes awhile even after your water breaks. Luckily, there was a bus that I could catch to go home shortly thereafter.

After her water broke, Katie called me, her mom, and the doctor's office. The contractions started picking up a lot, happening more frequently and more intensely. She went next door and asked our friend, Katie, if she could watch Annie and Cameron, who had been watching a home video. I got off the bus at about 4:30. When I got close to the apartment, Katie was coming outside but then went back inside, a contraction having just come on. About then, another friend, Melinda, showed up and helped balance and support Katie. Katie told me to go get the van, so I went and pulled it up then came back to help. As we were helping Katie and trying to decide if we should try to go to the hospital, another friend, Lesa, showed up and called 911. Katie was in a lot of pain and felt like she needed to push. We helped her get into the family room and laid her down on the rug. A little later, two big firemen showed up in a firetruck. They were very calm and friendly. About five minutes later, baby Megan was born, right in our family room. Two paramedics showed up in an ambulance just a minute or two after that. We stayed there for about 15-20 minutes making sure Katie and Megan were okay and waiting to see if the placenta would be delivered (it ended up being delivered about an hour later at the hospital). Katie was then wheeled out to the ambulance on a bed and I followed, holding the baby. As we got into the ambulance there a ton of kids and parents watching everything. We had created quite the stir in Whipple Park! I sat in the back of the ambulance holding baby Megan, no seatbelt or anything. I was a little surprised about that, but, oh well! We got to the hospital and got Katie and Megan taken care of from there.

Everything happened so fast. It was pretty crazy--definitely not what we had in mind. We are very greatful that everything went as well as it did, especially considering the circumstances. We feel very blessed. A lot of things could have been different that could have made it worse, yet it actually went quite well. If Katie's water broke 3o minutes earlier, she would have been in the car with 4 kids! We're very thankful to Melinda and Lesa for all of their help, as well as to many more friends who have been very helpful to us these last two days. Most of all we're just very excited to have baby Megan in our family.

Here are a few pictures. Stay tuned for more pictures coming soon!



Eric holding newly-born Megan in our family room, with one of the firemen standing behind.


The scene at our house a little after Megan was delivered. Unfortunately, we didn't get any pictures outside with the fire truck, ambulance and everyone watching!


Baby Megan on the scale at the hospital.


The newest little Christensen!
Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Amber Carter said...

Wow! What a story! I have been checking your blog for updates on the new baby since I knew it should be any time now! I can't believe how quick your labor went... I wonder if your hospital bill is less if the baby is born before you get there? :) The baby is beautiful and she looks like she belongs in your family.

Curtis Gibby said...

Congrats Christensens! I hope our birth isn't quite as eventful as this one, but we'll take what we can get -- anything for a nice healthy baby.

Jancisco said...

Holy Smokes! Katie, you sure like adventure. She is beautiful and looks so big--not like a newborn. Congratulations!!!!

Alisa said...

Holy Cow!!! That is quite a story you guys will have the rest of your lives!!! So thankful everything was ok!!! What a beautiful little girl you have!! I can already see Annie and Cameron in her.

Alisa said...

Holy Cow!!! That is quite a story you guys will have the rest of your lives!!! So thankful everything was ok!!! What a beautiful little girl you have!! I can already see Annie and Cameron in her.

Gwen said...

Wow!!! I still can't believe it!!! You are one amazing woman Katie! Congratulations on such a beautiful little girl! We are so glad she is here and that everything went well. We are so happy for your guys!!! Give all three of your kids a great big kiss from all of us!

Kara said...

WOW!! Quite the story. I can't imagine the pain, shock, and everything that must have been felt in that short time. I am glad that everyone is healthy and okay. Congratulations!
Kara (Hymas) McBride

Emy said...

Wow you guys!!!! I am sure happy to hear that little Meg is here safe. The Lord was watching over every detail, huh? That is so crazy. I'm glad it was fast and congratulations again. We love you guys!

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

Thanks! I have been watching for this post for the past two days!!! We are sooooo excited for you, and wow, what a story....glad I can't top that!!!

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

ps.....she is so cute....hope to see her before too long!!!

Shelly said...

That really is quite a story. I am so glad that everything turned out okay. Katie, you are superwoman!! Congratualtions guys!

Lisa O said...

Megan's arrival sure makes for a great story! We are so glad that everything turned out okay and baby and mommy are both doing great. She is a perfect little doll!

Ben and Robbie and family said...

Wow- what a story!!! And what a beautiful baby girl. We can't wait to meet her. We're so happy that Katie and the baby both made it through all the excitement! You're amazing, Katie! What a woman!

Anonymous said...

Katie, you're my hero. So glad she's here safe and sound. You're already looking amazing less than a week later.

Sarah said...

Congrats and Wow! What a story! Glad everyone is doing well and is healthy. It is good to see you again. I just started my blog, its a work in progress. Keep in touch, Sarah Anthony

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable! I just read your story and bawled through the whole thing! What a miracle and a fun story she'll get to tell the rest of her life! Glad things went as well as they did. She is beautiful!

Lisa C said...

make sure to check with Joy, she got pictures of people outside and the firetruck/ambulance!